Friday, April 1, 2011

I'm walking 60 miles to help end breast cancer forever!!!

Did the headline shock you? It doesn't really sound like me, does it? 150 lbs ago it was not me. It physically couldn't have been. But now, now I'm taking on all kinds of challenges and this one...well this one means the world to me.

A year ago today my mom was diagnosed with cancer again for the third time. It was the worst day of my life. It was all too ironic that it fell on April Fool's Day. I had spent the night in the hospital with mom as we awaited test results for what we knew might be cancer again, although we were hoping it was some type of infection. I'll never forget that day. I wish I could. I still remember the doctor's face like it was yesterday. I can't explain the feeling of getting that news that the breast cancer was back and had spread. It's the helpless, out of control feeling. You know those tv shows where the main character is up above watching what is happening to them down below? Yeah, kind of like that.

Fast forward to today, a year later. Mom took her 14th chemo today and her tumor marker has gone down to 55 from the 1800 it was at a year ago. Destination tumor marker is between 0 - 37. We're nearly there!!!! God is a mighty, mighty God.


This is the reason my sister & I have taken on an incredible challenge. November 4-6, 2011 we will walk 60 miles to help end breast cancer forever. We will join together with thousands of other women and men as part of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.

No one should have to go through what we have seen our mom go through. No one should have to have a double mastectomy, take radiation that burns their skin, or take chemotherapy that causes them to lose their hair and feel ill. She had NO choice in getting breast cancer three times. We are choosing to walk 60 miles to honor her, as well as the many other women and men fighting and SURVIVING this terrible disease. We also walk in remembrance of those we have lost. We will do all we can not to let breast cancer affect anyone else's future. We are choosing to fight back. We are challenging ourselves to accomplish more than we ever thought possible.

We've agreed to raise at least $2,300 in donations and need your help. I would be honored if you'd consider making a donation to this cause. Please know you can donate any amount no contribution is too small!

You can donate online at The3Day.org. Just click on "Donate" and search for my personal fundraising page. You can also fill out the enclosed donation form and mail it to the address on the form. You can also call 800-996-3DAY to donate over the phone.

Net proceeds from the 3-Day for the Cure are invested in community-based breast health programs and breast cancer research. The research funded focuses on decreasing breast cancer incidence and mortality in the next decade.


Somewhere in the world, a woman dies from breast cancer every 69 seconds. Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer, and is the leading cause of death among women worldwide. The majority of women with breast cancer have no known significant family history or other known risk factors. Breast cancer knows no boundaries be it age, gender, socio-economic status or geographic location. I'm walking in the 3-Day because everyone deserves a lifetime.

Thank you in advance for your generosity and for helping end breast cancer forever.

Also, ask your employer if they will double your donation through a matching gift program! Many companies will!

Click here to visit my personal page.
If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:http://www.the3day.org/site/TR?px=3038852&pg=personal&fr_id=1622&et=yej-_QgFkEXyrVDvHUJ6eA..&s_tafId=461820

1 comment:

  1. Good for you taking on this challenge. God Bless your mom; what an incredible story! I wish you lots of luck along your journey; it's amazing what you'll be a part of. Don't hesitate to get your shoes a size too big & check out the walking sandals if you haven't already. Training & walking that event brought my mom & I ever so much closer, even though I wouldn't have thought we could be any better friends. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete