Wednesday, July 7, 2010



The day finally arrived after months of preparation!!! I had the Duodenal Switch Procedure last Monday, June 28th, at 11:30 am. Keelie picked me up that morning at 9 and we headed to the hospital, as I had to check-in at 10. I was surprisingly calm. I figured I'd be beside myself at some point Sunday, but I wasn't, and the calm had held over on Monday as well. God had definitely given me a peace. My stomach did flutter and drop a bit when I got out of the car but it was short lived. I was quickly called from the waiting room and had my IV hooked up and gave numerous bits of information to the nurses. I visited with Mom & Keelie a bit and then it was time to go. They were taking me back around 11:10 am. A hospital on time?! No way! I said a quick hello to Uncle James and Debra as I was wheeled away. I recall seeing Sue, the PA, in the operating room and that's about all I remember, thankfully.

The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery and I was NOT happy. I was hurting. I could feel the dreaded catheter and my incisions were uncomfortable as well. I remember the nurse trying to wake me and all I could think is "GO AWAY!" I was hurting and didn't want to wake up for that. I then became VERY stressed and anxious. I looked around a bit and saw only one other patient. However, there were what seemed like TONS of nurses back there and you would have thought it was water-cooler-visiting-hour. I just remember them having extremely loud, personal conversations. It was so annoying and was definitely stressing me out. I just kept praying and passing back out. The next thing I remember is being wheeled to my room, but being asked who was there with me and being told they had been unable to find my family. Yeah, that didn't help my anxiety. I arrived at the room where they then said they had put me in the wrong bed after surgery and they would have to move me. They asked if I would be able to help them by scooting over. This wasn't my first surgery experience and I knew many times they make you move beds and it's extremely painful. I told them I didn't know if I would be able to move myself (like they would leave me if I didn't cooperate or something) but said I'd try. I did try a little bit but it hurt BAD. I guess they finally gave up on me because they started moving me with the bed sheet and the backboard. I wanted to scream. It hurt SO bad. They laid the bed completely flat which was a killer. Hello, surgery sight is the stomach! I don't want to be stretched flat. Ugh. At that point hitting a few nurses did cross my mind. I just wanted to be left alone. The bed switch was finally made and I felt somewhat better. Then my family arrived. I was relieved since I had been told they couldn't find them.

At this point I was very in and out of it. I know nurses came by to get my vitals and I also know I complained about my catheter more than once. I was extremely hot as well. Keelie gave me cold cloths to cool me down (as seen in the lovely photo above, courtesy of my sister). My family and Keelie were talking to me and it continued to stress me out and cause anxiety. I told them that I just couldn't have them talking. They quieted down but I could hear my mom whispering, which was still stressing me. In my head I just sat up some and told them I couldn't have them talking at all. What they all told me is that I was throwing my hands up telling them not to talk. I think they were all scared. LOL!

The next thing I remembered was actually coming to and Mom & Dad were in the room. At this point I was more awake, than any other time, and was calm. I could carry on conversations with them. Courtney & Keelie returned from eating and Mom & Dad headed out for the night. I told the nurse I wanted to sit up, and possibly walk, around 10 pm. Getting up was VERY hard, but I finally did it with the help of the nurse and Keelie & Courtney. I sat there for a little bit and decided I would not be able to walk at this point so I got back in bed. Just an fyi, getting in and out of bed after surgery...NOT EASY. You would think they would come up with a better system, or better beds for people who were just operated on, so the in and out wouldn't be so painful.

The following day provided troubles of it's own, but we'll reminisce about those another day! ;-)


  1. Wow you have been through a lot. I can't wait to hear about you feeling better.

  2. OMG! I am ROTFL!!!You yelling at us was classic. Yes, it was a bit frightening at the time but now it's just hilarious. You were a trooper. Kindof a a DIVA-trooper. ;)