Friday, July 16, 2010

Proteins

Protein is very important to my post-op nutrition. I need 80-100 grams per day. I've learned quite a bit about protein lately. Did you know protein is the major component of muscle tissue? It keeps blood sugar stable, promotes satiety, and is needed for hormone and digestive enzymes. Protein is also needed for a healthy immune system, and is essential to carry oxygen in the blood. Who knew?! I make sure nearly everything I eat now has protein in it and I'm also on the lookout for new items that have lots of protein in them.

Here are some of my most recent finds:

EAS Myoplex with 42 g of protein!!! I was shocked when I found this last night at Kroger. I had not found a drink with that much protein in it so far. It was a little expensive, 4 for close to $13, but the 17 oz bottles seemed worth a try. I also don't mind the taste of them. They are not gritty like some protein drinks. I think it tastes similar to a less sweet chocolate milk.

Braum's 4% Milkfat Cottage Cheese. I located this while visiting my parents last weekend. A 1/2 c. of this has 14 g of protein. Awesome! It tastes really good too, but then again I do love cottage cheese.


Last but not least is the Special K Protein Water Mix. It has 5 g of protein in it, which isn't a whole lot, however it's better than nothing, AND I might as well get protein in while drinking my water. It tastes pretty good too, and I've seen it in three different flavors; Pink Lemonade, Ice Tea with Lemon, and Strawberry Kiwi.

Feel free to let me know of any great protein finds you may have!!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow you are having great results from the surgery! Welcome to the HYC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that your body can only absorb so many grams of protein at one time, so you should look into what that amount is. For some reason, 25 grams is coming to mind...but this was a few years ago that I read that. If that is the case, you may not actually be getting all the protein you think you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chobani greek yogurt has 16 grams of protein per serving. I mix it with oats and some almond milk at night and put it in the fridge. Instant breakfast in the morning. Lots of protein and good whole grains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Greek yogurt. It has twice the protein of other brands like yoplait. I got the plain kind and mixed it with honey and granola to add fiber. It is my new favorite! It definitely has a sharper taste but still good.

    Congrats on your success so far!!! It is always the hardest to get the ball rolling but once you do the momentum takes you farther than you thought you could go. Keep it up :)

    ~Lainey
    www.arrrbuckle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what all your diet calls for with the protein vs. sugar etc but I love Muscle Milk shakes (pre-made) but they aren't as high in protein.

    I have been using Muscle Tech protein shakes I found the powder @ Walmart. I mix it with milk, ice, a teaspoon of peanut butter and a banana in a blender until smooth and it's pretty tasty. That might be a key to that shake you bought is to put it in a blender w/ some ice and see if it gets less gritty. I HATE the grit.

    ox

    ReplyDelete