Saturday, June 19, 2010

Introductions

First things first, let's get to know each other. I'm Kristi and I'm overweight. (Everyone chimes in "Hi Kristi!") Actually, I want to be totally honest...I'm not overweight, I'm morbidly obese. Weight has been a life long issue for me, unfortunately. I came into this world at close to 9 lbs and never looked back. I've always been very tall so that helped me a little in the weight department, but height can only you help you out so much. I've tried lots of different ways to lose the weight throughout the years. There was the Richard Simmons' Deal A Meal and Sweating to the Oldies in middle school (insert laugh here), Fen-phen in high school where I lost 60 lbs by taking a pill (which was later recalled and there was the scare of heart problems; thankfully I wasn't affected), Weight Watchers (which I've done numerous times and at one point lost 100 lbs and gained it all back), working out at Curves, South Beach Diet, and others. Then in January 2006 I had the Lap-Band procedure. I lost a total of 60 lbs and kept it off fairly well for a while but then, as usual, eventually gained it back. The Lap-Band didn't work for me and I quit on it. In medical terms, and in the words of my Lap-Band surgeon, I was a failure. That always feels good to hear!

It's been a 30 year battle and I'm at my wits end. Sick of it. Done! I quit the fat life. For once and for all I am going to lose weight and get healthy. I've got too much to lose to not succeed this time. On Monday, June 28th I am having the Duodenal Switch Surgery. I cannot wait!!!! That is why this blog is called 'the end of the beginning'. This is the end of my fat life and the beginning of my new, healthy, smaller life. HALLELUJAH!!! I am well aware that this is not going to be an easy road, but it's time. After my surgery I'll be in the hospital for 3 to 4 days and then will be recovering at home for about a month. I look forward to the change. I'm pretty sure some friends and family think I'm crazy and are worried about my procedure. But desperate times call for desperate measures.

This decision to have surgery is not one that I made lightly. It is something that I have thought about for awhile now, pray about constantly, and have actively been working toward for the last 6 months. I went to a seminar on weight loss surgeries in December '09 (where I found out I should have never had the Lap-Band done in the first place because it isn't as successful for people like me who need to lose so much weight), had a scope done to check out my insides and band, went to a psychologist and had a psychological eval of 700+ questions completed, saw a nutritionist, saw my surgeon/PA once a month for three months, had blood work done twice, and did LOTS and LOTS of thinking. I originally was denied for the surgery back in May. Thanks to wording from the psychologist the insurance doctor didn't think I was a good candidate for this surgery since I had "failed" the Lap-Band. Thankfully after prayer and a peer to peer consultation my surgeon had with the insurance doctor I was approved! I went to my first of three classes at my surgeon's office a couple of weeks ago. This was about what to do leading up to surgery, in the hospital, and the first two weeks home. I've completed my pre-op as well. Now I just wait for 9 days and it's SURGERY TIME!

Follow along as I change my life for the better! It's sure to not be a dull experience! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. You know I'm behind you 100%. You ARE going to do this.

    Now go to weightlossbloggers and make some friends! and scale junkie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi congrats on your journey and for recording it here!!! I found you through Keelie and I look forward to hearing all about your progress!!! ox

    ReplyDelete